Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Year

Ok, so I haven't written in here in like, forever. I have a busy life, including my sewing life. Since my last post, I have made several sets of pillowcases (Snoopy, Winnie the Pooh, and Debbie Mum) for my partner. She adores novelty pillowcases. I think she now has one set for each holiday plus a bunch extra. I made her four sets this last holiday. I've also made a linen and ultrasuede button down shirt with a military style mandarin collar. I'm still finishing the hand sewn buttonholes, but it is pretty much finished. I will try to have pics soon, but this computer's SD card slot is broken and that makes it more difficult for me to get off my lazy butt and upload the pics. I've also made several fabric covered boxes for storage around the house, plus two pairs of pajamas for Xmas gifts. Oh yeah, and a visor organizer for my partner's truck. I got the organizer pattern from the book Sew and Stow. I love this book, and had bought it last year, but this Xmas was the first time I'd made anything out of it. I am also working on the six pocket wall hanging storage right now from the same book.

One thing I realized while making these items was that I have sooooo many sewing and knitting books and I probably only make one or two items from them a year. How many other people do this, too? Or is it just me?

On another note, still no luck getting a full time teaching job. My student loans started coming due last month and it has been difficult making the payments, especially around the holidays, but I've been trying to get as many substitute teaching jobs as I can. I'm a bit discouraged, though, since hiring at schools is usually only in the summer and I did put out 39 resumes and applications this last year. I just don't know what else to do. I have three certifications and they don't seem to be worth the paper they are printed on. Sigh.

The weather here has been depressing, as well. Cold, cold, cold. And lots of snow. Every day we've gotten about two inches. I can barely take the dog for a walk in the back yard. She has to jump over the snow or risk getting lost forever. And we're getting more snow tomorrow, another 4 inches or so. I think I should go sew and not look out the windows for the next few days... how does that sound?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here. No junk or soliciting, please. I will turn off anonymous settings if I have to. Please do not ruin it for everyone else.